Why is Nursing Science a restricted major?
We receive a large number of applicants annually and are able to accept only a limited number of these students. The limited number of spaces in the program is based on the availability of required clinical placement sites.

What are the tuition/fees for the program?

For current fee and tuition information, refer to the University Registrar website ›

Does your program require the TEAS or HESI exams for admission?
No, we do not require these tests for admission.

Does your program have a required number of volunteer hours in a healthcare/clinical setting for admission?
No, we do not have a minimum number of volunteer hours required for admission. We recognize and appreciate that our applicants come from a variety of backgrounds with different experiences. We also understand that it can be challenging for our applicants to secure volunteer hours in healthcare settings for a number of reasons including but not limited to: COVID-19 concerns/closures, competing personal commitments, etc.

Do you have a 2nd Baccalaureate or Accelerated BSN Program?
UC Irvine does not offer a 2nd Baccalaureate/Accelerated BSN program.  Students who already have their Bachelor’s Degree in a non-nursing major may not apply to our BS in Nursing Science program.

However, UC Irvine does offer a Master’s Entry Program (MEPN), which is a graduate-level program for students who already have a Bachelor’s Degree in a non-nursing field, but would like to become a Registered Nurse.  After completing our MEPN program, graduates will have their MS in Nursing Science and will be eligible to take the NCLEX-RN exam for licensure.  For more information about the requirements to apply to the MEPN program, please see our MEPN Admissions page.

Students interested in finding ABSN programs may review lists of programs managed by the UC Davis Health Professions Advising website and the American Association of Colleges in Nursing. Please note that UC Irvine does not maintain these lists and directories to ensure that they are accurate or up-to-date. These resources are intended to be a guide only and interested students should follow up with the schools and programs that they are interested in applying to for accurate information.

Do you have an RN to BSN program?
UC Irvine does not offer an RN to BSN program. California schools that offer these programs are listed on the California Board of Registered Nursing website ›

How long will it take me to complete the program?
The BS in Nursing Science is a four-year program for students who are admitted into the program as freshmen. It is a two-year program (upper-division Nursing Science courses) for transfer/change of major students.

Is this a direct-entry program or do I need to reapply at sophomore standing?
Our program is a direct-entry program for students admitted to the Nursing Science major as freshmen or transfer applicants. These students do not need to reapply for admission after starting coursework at UC Irvine as Nursing Science majors.

When will I be notified of my admission?
Applicants will be notified of admissions decisions electronically via your message center on the UCI Applicant Portal. The major you see listed is the major you have been admitted into.

Students with additional questions about admissions notifications should contact UC Irvine’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions for clarification.

What if I am not admitted into the Nursing Science major?
Students not admitted to our program may reapply the following year. It is possible for you to be admitted to UC Irvine but not to the Nursing Science major. If this happens, admission will default to your second choice major.

Students with additional questions about this policy should contact UC Irvine’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions for clarification.

How many spaces typically are available each year?
The number of students admitted as Freshmen, Change of Major, and Transfer students each year varies. The program goal is to graduate 50 students per year.

If I’m admitted to the program, will I need my own transportation for clinical rotations?
Clinical rotations begin in junior year. You will need to either provide your own transportation or coordinate with a fellow classmate in your clinical group. By the final quarter of your senior year, you must provide your own transportation for your clinical preceptorship course.

When are clinical rotations scheduled?
Clinical rotations schedules and student assignments vary each quarter and depend on availability provided by our clinical partners.  Availability on weekends and evenings is mandatory. Any noted preferences will be noted via extenuating or special circumstances only.


I’m applying to transfer from another 4-year university. How can I tell if I’ve completed all of the Nursing Science major prerequisites to apply?
Students should consult with UC Irvine’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Their office manages both the freshman and transfer admissions process for the Nursing Science major, including transcript review.

I can’t find all the prerequisites I need to complete as a transfer student at my community college. Can I apply without having completed all of the prerequisites?
Yes, you can take a maximum of 3 prerequisite courses in the Summer prior to Fall start after admission. If admitted, the courses will need to be completed and passed with a B or better (if taken at a community college) or a C or better (if taken at a university in the University of California system) in order to stay in the major.

Students with additional questions about this policy should contact UC Irvine’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions for clarification.


If I’m admitted to UCI in a non-nursing major, can I change my major to Nursing Science?
Undergraduate students admitted to UC Irvine in a non-nursing may apply to change their major to Nursing Science as soon as the fall quarter of their sophomore year.  They may not switch their major to Nursing Science before starting coursework at UC Irvine.  Students interested in this pathway should note that it is very competitive and most applicants are not admitted to the major.  Interested students should consult our website for more details about how to apply as a Change of Major (COM) applicant.

Students admitted as transfer students to a non-nursing major are not eligible to apply as COM applicants to the Nursing Science major.

I’m a current UCI student in a non-nursing major.  How many times can I apply to change my major to Nursing Science?

In Fall 2021, the Change of Major application for Nursing Science will open in the fall quarter and close on November 30th.  Only continuing students are eligible to apply in Fall 2021; students admitted as Freshmen to UC Irvine in Fall 2021 are not eligible to apply in this cycle. Students may apply as early as their sophomore year at UCI if they plan appropriately.

Starting in Summer 2022, the Change of Major application for Nursing Science will open in June and close in July only.  Moving forward, there will only be COM applications for Nursing in the Summer and we will no longer have an application in the Fall.

Students who apply and are admitted during their junior year should note that they will be required to spend 5 years at UCI to complete the Nursing Science major.  Students in their senior year at UCI are not eligible to be accepted as Change of Major applicants in the program.  Seniors should consider planning to apply to pre-licensure nursing programs designed for students who hold a bachelor’s degree in a non-nursing field (e.g. Accelerated BSN programs, Master’s Entry programs, etc.).


What is your Admission Policy for Military Personnel?
UC Irvine School of Nursing will accept qualified student applicants who have completed relevant military education and experiences, have met the admission requirements, and who present documented equivalency courses. These applications will be reviewed on an individual basis by the Student Affairs Director and the Program Director. These individuals are eligible for consideration of completion of challenge exams following admission to the nursing program. Any veteran who has completed their BA or BS degree and required prerequisites are welcome to apply to our Masters Entry Program in Nursing (MEPN).

What is my option as an LVN?
Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVNs) who are interested in the 45 unit LVN option for achieving Registered Nurse status should make an appointment with Nursing Science Student Affairs to discuss completion of the required courses.  Passing the required courses will allow the student to sit for the National Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN), but students will not receive an academic degree. Entry into the option is on a space-available basis.

Do you accept out-of-state students?
Yes, we accept out-of-state students into the program.

Do you accept international students?
Yes, we accept international students into the program. However, please keep in mind in order to sign up for the NCLEX, students are required to either have a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer ID Number (ITIN). Getting an ITIN or SSN beforehand will prevent any delays with the Board of Registered Nursing.

Can I still apply if I have a criminal record?

A criminal record does not necessarily impact your eligibility to apply to the University, however it may impact your ability to obtain a RN license. A requirement for our program is to complete clinical rotations in local hospitals. Currently, as long as you do not have a felony conviction, there should be no problem for clinical rotations, however please contact our Nursing Student Affairs office to confirm before applying. The larger issue may be if you are eligible to sit for the NCLEX and to be licensed in the state of California.  Students must pass the NCLEX after graduation in order to become a Registered Nurse; completing the degree by itself will not allow you to work as a Registered Nurse. We strongly encourage applicants in this situation to reach out to the California Board of Registered Nursing to confirm that you would be eligible for licensure given your individual situation.  These links may also be helpful in self-navigating the process: and