UCI undergraduate students wishing to change their major and apply to the BS in Nursing Science program must complete the Sue & Bill Gross School of Nursing Change of Major Application.
Note that incoming first-year/freshman students are not eligible to change their major to Nursing Science before starting coursework at UC Irvine. Students admitted as Transfers to UC Irvine in a non-nursing major are not eligible to apply to change their major to Nursing Science.
Summer 2022 Application
The Summer 2022 Change of Major application has closed. The next application will open in June 2023.
Note: If you are a newly admitted first-year student at UCI and were admitted to a non-nursing major, you’re not eligible to apply to change your major to nursing (yet!). Please review the information below to learn more about how to apply after you start coursework at UCI.
Application Deadlines and Requirements
The Nursing Change of Major Application (for continuing UCI students) opens each year in June. Admitted students will be notified over the summer and have their major changed to Nursing Science before the start of Fall quarter.
- Students interested in applying to change their major to Nursing Science in Summer 2022 should carefully review our new guidelines about course planning, prerequisites, and requirements in our Change of Major planning guide here.
Change of Major Admission Requirements and Enrollment Prerequisites
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- The completion of all prerequisite courses as described in our Change of Major planning guide (linked above) with:
- A letter grade of C or higher in all prerequisite courses completed at UCI
- A letter grade of B or higher in all prerequisite courses completed at a public California college or university
Applicants will be asked to upload transcripts from all institutions where they have taken college/university-level coursework. In addition, the Change of Major application will also ask students about the following:
- academic honors or recognition
- leadership, volunteer and work experiences
- program and organization involvement
- language abilities (e.g. fluency in a language other than English)
- two short essay responses
- Summer 2022 Cycle: The two essay prompts are available below (please note that these questions are subject to change each year):
- ESSAY PROMPT 1 (max 250 words): Describe how your prior education and experience have contributed to your future nursing career goals.
- ESSAY PROMPT 2 (max 250 words): Describe a challenging or difficult time in your life. What motivated you to persist through this challenge and how did you overcome it?
Human Physiology Lecture and Lab: Change of Major applicants can take Pharm Sci 120 and Pharm Sci 120L OR Bio Sci E109 and Bio Sci E112L to satisfy Nursing Science Major Requirements.
COVID NOTE: Although some institutions are allowing Pass/Not Pass grading for certain courses, we are still requiring letter grades as a feature of our admissions requirements. If your institution is mandating Pass/Not Pass for a term, or you have an extenuating circumstance, please make a note on your application and we may make an exception.
Students interested in changing their major to Nursing Science should also review our supplemental costs sheet to better understand and plan for unique financial requirements associated with being a Nursing student and applying for licensure after graduation.
Students who plan to take non-science prerequisites at California Community Colleges may refer to the ASSIST system for approved and articulated courses
Zot Chat is now available for current UCI students interested in applying to change their major to Nursing Science! See the bottom of this page for more information.
If you have any additional questions after reviewing our Change of Major planning guide (linked above), our BS in Nursing Science FAQs section, and the information on this page, you may also contact the Nursing Science Student Affairs office at email@example.com.