Is the Master’s program at UCI an online, hybrid, or on-campus course?
All of the lecture courses in the Master’s program curriculum are on-campus.

When will the program start?
The first course will start during the 10-week summer session (near the end of June)

When are the lecture courses offered?
Lecture courses will be scheduled at least twice a week during the day.  There are no evening classes.

When are the clinical rotations scheduled?
The number of hours required each quarter varies. They are scheduled approximately 2 days a week and may include evening and weekend shifts.  Clinicals begin in the Spring quarter of the first year.

Is there a time limit on when I took my prerequisites?
No, there is no time limit, but it is recommended that you have completed your core science and statistics courses within the past 5 years.

If I don’t have a 3.0 GPA in my bachelor’s degree, can I still apply?
The MEPN program is highly competitive. UC Irvine’s Graduate Division requires a 3.0 GPA in your bachelor’s degree for admission. Students applying to the program with a GPA under 3.0 require an exception from the School of Nursing in order to be admitted.  One factor taken into account for the exception is the GPA in a graduate degree. We are also looking at healthcare volunteer and work activities, leadership, etc. While exceptions are rare, if you feel you are an exceptional candidate, you are welcome to apply.

I did not receive a 3.0 GPA during my undergraduate studies. If I retake my prerequisites, will this increase my chances of admission?
We will be looking at your cumulative GPA from your bachelor’s degree. We do not calculate a cumulative GPA of all college courses you’ve taken (including the prerequisite courses you might take at a community college).

I’m planning to complete all my prerequisite courses by the end of Spring prior to the Summer start of the program, can I still apply?
No, you must complete all prerequisite courses, as well as your non-nursing bachelor’s degree, by the end of December before submitting your application for the following Summer cohort.

Can I apply while my courses are in progress?
Yes, but we encourage you to wait until you have your final grades to submit your application. Your prerequisites and your undergraduate degree must be completed by the end of December prior to Summer entry.

Is there a repeat limit on prerequisite courses?

How long should my Statement of Purpose and Personal History be?
Both the Statement of Purpose and the Personal History sections of the application have a 1200 word maximum, for a total of 2400 words. You must answer both questions within both the Statement of Purpose and the Personal History within the 1200 word maximum.

Does your program require the TEAS test or GRE test?
No, we do not require these tests for admission. The scores would not be taken into consideration.

How do I know whether a course I have taken fulfills the prerequisite requirement?
Generally, if the prerequisites were taken at a 2-3 year regionally accredited institution and have the following requirements, it will be acceptable:

  • Combined Anatomy & Physiology courses: year-long sequence required
  • Anatomy, Physiology & Microbiology must have a lab component and must be human-related (no animal or plant-related topics). Combined lecture/lab courses are acceptable – please list the combined course under both the lecture and lab spaces on the prerequisite sheet and make a note that it is combined.
  • Chemistry prerequisites: 1 course in General Chemistry OR a combination Chemistry course (must contain inorganic (general), organic & biochem). Generally, no introduction or fundamental chemistry courses are allowed (unless it’s a combination course).
  • Statistics prerequisite: 1 course containing descriptive & inferential statistics will be acceptable
  • Sociology: the course must be either an Introduction to Sociology or Cultural Anthropology course. Courses that are too specific will not be accepted (i.e. Economic Sociology or special topics courses).

You can view approved courses from our sister school, UCLA here. We conduct a full evaluation of your application and prerequisite courses after you apply.

Is it possible to see when all of my recommendation letters have been received?
You should be able to see any updates on your application status page. If you have specific questions regarding navigating the application, please email

Do I have to have a Professor and Clinical Employer/Supervisor write my letters of recommendation?
We require at least one letter of recommendation from a Professor who can attest to your academic readiness for your graduate level work, and one letter from a clinical employer/supervisor (even volunteer work counts!) who can speak to your professional work experience. If you do not have a clinical employer/supervisor or Professor who is able to write you a letter of recommendation, choose someone who can best speak to your academic and professional readiness.

Can I submit more than 3 letters of recommendation?

No, you may only submit 3. Any extra letters will not be reviewed.

I opened the Graduate Application and did not see MEPN listed. Where is it?
The MEPN program is listed on UCI’s Graduate Application as M.S. Nursing Science with a Concentration in Community and Population Health.

If I’m admitted to the program, will I need my own transportation for clinical rotations?
Yes, students will need their own transportation to our partner hospitals, clinics, and community sites.

Can I still work while enrolled in the program?
Part-time work may be possible. However, please keep in mind that MEPN is a full-time, accelerated program, and the pace and intensity are demanding.

How many times a year do you admit students? Does your program admit students on a rolling basis?
We admit students once per year. We do not do rolling admissions. All applications are reviewed after the deadline, and notified of their admission status in the Spring.

Will I be able to become a Nurse Practitioner after finishing this degree?
Since this is a pre-licensure nursing program and not an advanced nursing degree, you’ll be eligible to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) to be an RN. If you’re interested in becoming an NP, you will need to apply to an advanced nursing program.

Do you accept international students?
Yes, we accept international students into the program. However, please keep in mind in order to sign up for the NCLEX, students are required to either have a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer ID Number (ITIN). Getting an ITIN or SSN beforehand will prevent any delays with the BRN.

How do I know if I’m eligible to waive the TOEFL exam?
In order to be eligible, your entire degree must be earned at an English-speaking institution. US citizens are automatically waived. Please refer to UCI Graduate Division’s Academic Qualifications or contact if you have any questions regarding international application requirements.

How much is the program?
View the Registrar’s Office for information about fees  Note: These fees are for the academic year only. They do not include summer quarter. Summer fees are approximately $1,600 per year.