The Center for Nursing Philosophy Fellowship program supports promising nursing PhD students or recent graduates (within 2 years of graduating with PhD and in an academic position) to pursue targeted scholarship in nursing philosophy.
The PhD Nursing Fellowship comes with a $2,000 stipend to be used at the fellow’s discretion for support during the fellowship period.
The fellowship is a one-year commitment for intensive mentored scholarship in the Center for Nursing Philosophy at UCI. This mentorship is 100% virtual, conducted via zoom. There are no travel obligations, allowing for global participation in the fellowship program.
The expectation is that the end of the fellowship corresponds with submission of the completed scholarship as a manuscript for publication in a peer-reviewed journal, the abstract of which is submitted for presentation at the annual International Nursing Philosophy conference supported in part by IPONS.
Eligibility for the fellowship includes:
- Be a nursing PhD student (at any stage of their dissertation) or hold a position in academia within two years of graduation. There is no geographic limitation.
- Demonstrated record of academic excellence and showing great promise as a future nursing philosophy scholar
- Can offer a statement from applicant’s institution (preferably from applicant’s department Chair, Director of Graduate Studies, or Dean) attesting ability of the candidate to fulfill fellowship expectations in line with any/all applicant institution policies (This can be an informal statement in your letter of submission)
Application requirements include:
- A letter of submission describing how you meet eligibility requirements
- Submission of a scholarship proposal with the potential to advance the field of nursing philosophy and in line with the Center for Nursing Philosophy’s stated mission. The proposal should be no longer than one page with 12-point font and one-inch margins. The proposal should (a) describe the topic of interest, (b) articulate current gaps in knowledge or problematic issues within the topic of interest, (c) your idea for addressing the gap or issue, including a brief and general description of your methods or approach, and (d) a brief and general statement as to how your scholarship may fill gaps or advance understandings or introduce new understandings related to the area of interest
- A current CV submitted with application
Selection criteria include:
- Feasibility of proposal to be completed within the proposed time frame (one academic year, including summer)
- Novelty and/or rigor of the proposal in addressing philosophical topics of interest in nursing and/or advancing nursing philosophy in general
- Application deadline is July 15, 2022
- Internal review of all applications done by CNP task force chaired by the Director of the Center for Nursing Philosophy
- Fellow notification by August 15, 2022
For more information please contact Miriam Bender firstname.lastname@example.org.