philanthropy spotlight on the rev. chineta goodjoinReverend Chineta Goodjoin, a member of the UCI Sue & Bill Gross School of Nursing Dean’s Cabinet and pastor at New Hope Presbyterian, shares what supporting the school means to her.

What did it feel like the first time you made your first gift as a donor? How does it feel to give now?

It felt meaningful and fulfilling the first time I made my first gift as a donor. Today it is a joy to give and it gives my life purpose.

What are you most passionate about? Why?

I am passionate about empowering and supporting people in need. I want to be a bridge of support, prayer, hope and inspiration for people who are facing challenges in life.

Why do you give to the Sue & Bill Gross School of Nursing?

I love the vision and commitment of the Sue and Bill Gross School of Nursing. The school places a high value on inclusivity and diversity which means a lot to me.

Of all the gifts you’ve given, which is the most memorable to you? Why?

The most memorable gifts I have given have centered around scholarships and grants that support low to moderate income students. Their success is life changing; it has a positive impact upon their family and the community. It means everything to me to see students who may otherwise go without have the opportunity to succeed.

What are your dreams for our community?

I have a dream of equity and educational opportunity that offers all hard working, bright, creative and academically strong students the resources, mentorship and money that allows them to pursue and achieve their goals.

If you could change the world, what would you do?

If I could change the world, there would be no racism and all people would know that they matter and have purpose.