uc irvine school of nursing alumni spotlight alana lynn class of 2020Our weekly Alumni Spotlight series features updates on the outstanding graduates of the UCI Sue & Bill Gross School of Nursing. Alana Lynn, class of 2020, shares her experiences as a nurse working in a pandemic.

How has the COVID-19 pandemic impacted your life?

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, I had to quickly adjust to new forms of online education. Thankfully, my cohort graduated in June 2020 despite various unknowns in the beginning.

I am now trying to navigate life as a new grad RN in the midst of a pandemic (which is not something any of us expected to do). Entering the nursing profession in 2020 has been unconventional and challenging, but I find comfort in knowing that I am now utilizing my experiences from UCI SON to serve my community in need.

What initially drew you to nursing?

Nursing combines my love for continual learning, genuine human interaction, and lending a healing hand. I wanted to emulate the nurses that had provided such exceptional care for my loved ones. It is an honor to be a part of the most trusted profession.

What do you love most about being a nurse?

I love being a part of a patient’s healing process and the versatility of nursing! We are not just “nurses,” we are healers, advocates, educators, listeners, and friends to our patients.