UC Irvine school of nursing student angela mcalpineIt’s back-to-school month at UCI! Meet future family nurse practitioner Angela McAlpine, class of 2024.

Why do you want to be a family nurse practitioner?

I hold close to my heart an interest in becoming a nurse leader in analyzing and addressing the social/environmental variables that lead to the development and maintenance of chronic health conditions in adults.

As a Doctor of Nursing Practice-Family Nurse Practitioner (DNP-FNP), my goal is to reduce health disparities and promote health equity in the community.

Why did you choose the UCI School of Nursing?

As someone who spent most of my life in Michigan, I moved to California with hopes of completing my doctorate in nursing at a school in which values aligned with my own.

I began researching reputable nursing programs with a focus on community health and found UCI’s program to be most compelling. I am beyond proud to have been accepted into this program to further my education as a nurse as well as contribute to the learning and growth of myself and colleagues.

What’s one fun fact about you?

I did a healthcare study abroad in Brazil during my undergrad at Michigan State. We visited remote villages (24 hours away by boat), slept outdoor in hammocks, and swam in the Amazon river.

For more information, to support a future nurse or nurse-led research, please connect to Juliana Goswick, Director of Development at jgoswick@hs.uci.edu or visit Giving.