Assistant Clinical Professor Candice Whealon earns DNP

Home>Posts>Assistant Clinical Professor Candice Whealon earns DNP
uc irvine school of nursing assistant clinical professor candice whealon dnp

Assistant Clinical Professor Candice Whealon has earned her Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree.

Assistant Clinical Professor Candice Whealon has earned her doctor of nursing practice (DNP) degree from The University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing.

“I made the decision to return to school because I was ready to elevate my practice,” she says.

Whealon graduated from the family nurse practitioner master’s program at the UCI Sue & Bill Gross School of Nursing in 2013.

“The DNP provided a strong foundation to grow, and my work at University of Pittsburgh now informs my research and teaching at UC Irvine.”

Her project was “An outcome evaluation of an emergency advanced practice provider in triage.”

She says having a terminal degree is self-validating.

“It was a personal goal which required sacrifice, but has proven to be worth the effort given my academic and professional pursuits. ”

A DNP is a practice-focused doctorate, unlike a PhD, which is a research-focused doctorate. The DNP is now the recommended terminal degree for APRNs, rather than a master’s degree.

For more information, to support a future nurse or nurse-led research, please connect to Juliana Goswick, Director of Development at jgoswick@hs.uci.edu or visit Giving.

2021-09-23T17:47:02-07:00September 9th, 2021|News|

One Comment

1. Carl Zimmerman September 9, 2021 at 4:51 pm - Reply

Well done

Leave A Comment

Contact Us!

Address
Sue & Bill Gross Nursing & Health Sciences Hall
854 Health Sciences Road
Irvine, CA 92697

Hours
Monday – Friday
9:00AM to 4:30PM

Fill Contact Form
Call: 
949-824-1514

Go to Top