alumni spotlight mary pham uc irvine school of nursing class of 09 bsn and class of 13 msn

Our weekly Alumni Spotlight series features updates on the outstanding graduates of the UCI Sue & Bill Gross School of Nursing. Mary Pham, class of ’09 and ’13, shares what it was like to be a nurse working in a pandemic.

Where do you work?

UCI Medical Center and Loma Linda Family Practice

What is your title?

Clinical nurse II and family nurse practitioner

How has COVID-19 impacted your life?

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, for the first time, I had to separate myself from my family because of the risk of exposure and that was very difficult.

I was honestly a little bit scared every time I showed up to work in the ICU. As for the clinic, I had to learn how to see patients using telemedicine and that was a bit of a learning curve.

What initially drew you to the nursing profession?

I actually wanted to challenge myself and step outside of my comfort zone to help overcome my fears of needles, blood, and germs and also to overcome my shy nature. When the opportunity for nursing fell into my lap, I decided to go for it!

What do you love most about being a nurse?

I love being able to take care of all different kinds of patients so there is never a day that is like another. I love the flexibility of my schedule. I love being able to care for others using my own hands. Best of all, I love not having to think about what to wear when I go to work.