paul kim uc irvine school of nursing alumni and dnp student

Our weekly Alumni Spotlight series features updates on the outstanding graduates of the UCI Sue & Bill Gross School of Nursing. Paul Kim, class of 2016, shares his experiences as a nurse working in a pandemic.

Where do you work?

Orange County Global Medical Center

What is your title?

RN

How has COVID-19 impacted your life?

Though there have been many physical and emotional struggles, in many ways, the pandemic has also brought my family and friends closer together in our love and appreciation for each other.

From all the distancing and isolation that are encouraged and enforced, it has become apparent to me of this very fact — that I have taken for granted the intimacy of a warm embrace, the cordiality of a handshake, and the fellowship of close conversations.

I hope that we all will come out of this ordeal as more loving, compassionate, and gracious individuals who appreciate the little things that unite us in life’s simple joys.

What initially drew you to nursing?

My mother, who is a nurse, has been my main source of inspiration and motivation to study nursing. She would tell me stories about her interactions with patients, some incredible, some gruesome, some compelling, others repelling.

But it was these stories of healing, compassion and unconditional empathy that intrigued me and ultimately convinced me to pursue nursing myself.

What do you love most about being a nurse?

What I cherish the most from nursing is its human connection. Nursing is more than medical care; it is human healing. It encompasses the physical, spiritual, emotional, and personal stories that ultimately connect us in our mutual pursuit of happiness and well-being. It is this very honor that I am blessed to regard as my profession.