uc irvine school of nursing student marina ruiz class of 2020Our weekly Alumni Spotlight series features updates on the outstanding graduates of the UCI Sue & Bill Gross School of Nursing. Marina Ruiz, class of 2020, shares her experiences as a nurse working in a pandemic.

Where do you work?

Pioneers Memorial Hospital 

What is your title?

Critical care registered nurse

How has the COVID-19 pandemic impacted your life?

The pandemic has brought feelings of isolation and extreme sorrow from not being able to spend time with loved ones, especially after two members of our family passed away due to COVID-19.

I have had issues with stress and anxiety due being a new graduate in the ICU where most of the patients are diagnosed with COVID-19, are on ventilators, and are extremely unstable.

Overall, the pandemic has made me realize I should be more appreciative of my health and to never take for granted the moments I have with family and friends.  

What initially drew you to nursing?

What initially drew me to the profession was the level of knowledge that nurses had on how to care for their patients and the genuine camaraderie between them.

I wanted to have that level of knowledge and be there for patients during their most vulnerable times.

What do you love most about being a nurse?

What I love most is the ability to advocate for the patient. The nurse is the person in the healthcare team that knows their patient the best, therefore, they’re able offer a valuable perspective that can positively impact their patient’s plan of care.