uc irvine school of nursing alum katrina lazarteOur weekly Alumni Spotlight series features updates on the outstanding graduates of the UCI Sue & Bill Gross School of Nursing. Katrina Lazarte, class of 2019, shares her experiences.

Where do you work?

University of California, San Diego Medical Center 

What is your title?

Clinical Nurse II 

How has the COVID-19 pandemic impacted your life?

I think one of the biggest challenges of the of the COVID-19 pandemic is having to be physically distant from friends and family. I am very close to my family, so it was difficult to transition from in-person get togethers to virtual ones.

The pandemic has also influenced my presence at the bedside. The no visitation policy that many hospitals have has placed an emotional toll on most patients. Thus, it has been crucial for me to ensure my patients that they are not alone by providing support to meet their social and emotional needs. 

What initially drew you to the nursing profession?

My work in public health serving marginalized communities initially drew me into the nursing profession. By serving witness to the health disparities that exist within underserved communities, I became inspired to bridge these gaps through nursing. 

What do you love most about being a nurse?

I love that nursing gives me the opportunity to be involved in so many avenues in healthcare: from advocacy, health promotion and teaching  to bedside care.

In turn, each opportunity presents me with a chance to connect and make an impact on the health of my community.

Learn more about Katrina ›