uc irvine school of nursing alum and alumni board member john aldrich alejandroOur weekly Alumni Spotlight series features updates on the outstanding graduates of the UCI Sue & Bill Gross School of Nursing. John Aldrich Alejandro, class of 2012, shares his experiences.

Where do you work?

Hoag Medical Group

What is your title?

Nurse practitioner

How has the COVID-19 pandemic impacted your life?

COVID-19 brought new challenges and growth in my delivery of care for patients. I had to navigate new supply chains for testing, protocols for care, and reinvigorated my purpose in the bigger scheme of what it means to be a nurse practitioner.

What initially drew you to the nursing profession?

I always knew I enjoyed taking care of people when they were sick. A nursing degree is also attainable with a pathway of continued education, so I remember making the decision that I could take this as far as I want to.

What do you love most about being a nurse?

The opportunity to make lives better. I get to wake up everyday and do just that. I’ve also had such enriching experiences in medical mission operations, organizational leadership, teaching, and finance. What other profession can offer wonderful passionate colleagues that are hell bent on rejuvenating their communities?