norma vegas uci nursing student studying for her dnpWhen she was a child, Norma Vega witnessed firsthand the struggle of her parents, who were undocumented immigrants, and the lives of those living in poverty.

Growing up on the south side of Pomona, she also witnessed the fear that those undocumented immigrants feel.

“They were afraid. I really did see firsthand what that meant. I saw a fear of obtaining services, afraid to go to the doctor, afraid to report a crime thinking the immigration department would be alerted,” Vega remembers. “That helped me help other people. I do understand the hesitance and word of mouth distribution of misinformation.”

Her parents became citizens when she was 10.

Today, she’s a ICU nurse at the UCI Health Regional Burn Center, where she helps families just like hers.

This fall, she begins her studies in the DNP-FNP program at the UCI Sue & Bill Gross School of Nursing. After she earns her degree, she has committed to working at the UCI Health Santa Ana Family Health Center for two years.

Connecting and building trust

She calls on her formative experiences as a child to connect and build trust with the families she helps today. The burn center frequently receives very critical patients accompanied by anxious parents and family members.

“One of the worst things is to tell a parent that your child is critically ill and that we need to do our work,” Vega says. However, emotions are high, and she says getting them to calm down and listen can be a challenge.

“I establish trust by talking to the family and keeping them informed throughout the time the patient is with us.”

Lacking successful role models

Vega stumbled upon nursing after careers in law enforcement, health access advocacy and social work.

“As a first-generation American, I didn’t have many role models in my life who were college-educated or successful, unfortunately.”

Guidance from her high school counselor was lacking, as well.  

After high school, she enrolled at Cal State Los Angeles and studied child development. She took a job at the university police department to supplement the financial aid she was receiving.

After graduation, one of her first jobs was in Orange County. Intrigued by the idea of helping people, “I left my secure job working for the state to work for a nonprofit.”

She began her social work and advocacy career working with a collaborative group that included the Orange County Social Services Agency and ultimately continued to at the Los Angeles Department of Child and Family Services, where she saw the advantages of being bilingual and bicultural when it comes to helping others and building connections.

Intrigued by public health

In the years working outside the medical field, Vega frequently encountered public health nurses. They fascinated her.

“I realized that I could really do that. That was my goal going into nursing school,” she recalls.

“I wanted to become a public health nurse or nurse practitioner and maximize the number of people I reach with limited resources.”

After receiving her BSN from Azusa Pacific University, she was hired at UCI Medical Center in 2015.

Combining social work and nursing

Vega wants to use her background to reach, understand and help the vulnerable navigate America’s complex healthcare system.

“The common thread between social work and nursing is providing services to vulnerable populations in multicultural, multilingual environments.”

Vega is the first person in her family to earn two bachelor’s degrees and pursue a graduate degree, but she hopes she isn’t the last.

“I’m happy to report that every educational experience, professional experience and personal experience has helped shaped the person I am today.”