Nisa Patel received her MSN in 2017 from the Western University of Health Sciences and joined UCI Sue & Bill Gross School of Nursing as a Health Sciences Clinical Instructor in July 2019. Professor Patel’s research focuses on chronic disease management and reducing health care disparities.

How did you get into nursing? What inspires you to do the work and research that you do?

I got into nursing because I wanted to do something that was challenging, interesting, and rewarding all the same. With nursing, each day you are faced with difficult decisions that ultimately affect the health of another being. Everyday, I am grateful that I have been given the opportunity to play such an important role in someone else’s life. My patients truly inspire me to continue doing the work that I do.

What drew you to UCI School of Nursing? 

I love that the UC Irvine’s School of Nursing is dedicated to improving patient care in the community. There is something special about being part of a community known for distinction and merit that is also dedicated to the advancement of cultural and socioeconomic inclusiveness. 

What are you most excited about, as you start your job here at UC Irvine School of Nursing? What would you like to accomplish at UCI?

Nursing is a field that is quickly expanding and the scope is becoming so vast. I love that UC Irvine School of Nursing is relatively young. I believe it allows for opportunities to expand the type of education and training that can be offered to students. I would love to create a curriculum that allows nursing students to learn about complementary and alternative medicine that can be incorporated into modern medicine.  

Is there anything personal that you’d like to share about yourself with the SON community?

Outside of nursing, dogs truly have a special place in my heart. One of the highlights in my life has been visiting Terratorio De Zaguates (a dog sanctuary) in Costa Rica for pups without homes. I have also been blessed enough to have rescued two of my own pups. I also love visiting national parks. I have made it a goal of mine to visit two National Parks every year. This year, Yosemite and Yellowstone will be crossed off my bucket list.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Recent Posts

Archives

Categories