leah legner uc irvine school of nursing masters studentLeah Legner, a second year Master’s Entry Program in Nursing (MEPN) student, discusses the proactive role she’s taking in addressing the worsening effects of climate change and its impact on public health.

How will you address the health impacts of climate change as a nurse?

I do not only want to be reactive, I want to be proactive. Yes, I want to prepare myself for the natural disasters and the impact that climate change will have on the population that I will serve. I also want to be a part of measures taken to mitigate climate change and improve our carbon footprint.

Coming from a kinesiology background, I want to educate my patients about the importance of physical activity. Not only will this get them thinking about the use of alternative/climate-friendly forms of transportation such as walking or biking, but it will also get them outside.

Getting outside changes one’s perspective and gives them appreciation for this beautiful world.

I also want to lead by example and reduce my own carbon footprint. I am making the shift toward non single-use items, reducing plastic use, purchasing products that use regenerative and sustainable farming practices, increasing efforts to clean up our natural areas, and reducing travel by car by either using alternative earth-friendly methods or by carpooling.

Lastly, I want to use my knowledge and position to enact environmental policy change and engage in local public health efforts. I want to be a part of planning and implementing solutions for cleaner energy supply and reduced waste production.

Why does climate change matter to you?

As a future nurse, I am deeply concerned about climate change not only because of the effect it has on our beautiful world, natural landscapes, and all of the creatures that we share share this earth with, but also because of the impact it has on public health.

Our vital resources — food, water and air — will be greatly affected by climate change. We have already seen the devastating effects of climate change in the form of fires, droughts, floods, unprecedented heatwaves, and other natural disasters.

These natural disasters can cause mass casualty incidents (MCIs) that we do not have the medical resources to handle, they can cause people to lose their homes, and they increase the incidence of illness, injury and death.

As someone who cares greatly for this world, I was concerned that I was entering a profession that generates a lot of pollution with all of the plastic and bio hazardous waste healthcare centers create.

After reading about ways to combat climate change as a healthcare professional on the World Health Organization (WHO) website, I was happy to see that there are solutions that I can directly contribute to such as improving patient care, educating patients about physical activity, and serving and making change in communities that have difficulty adapting to climate change and climate saving strategies.